The R-2117 aircraft on display at the Museum flew 2,957 hours.
The Mirage III RS reconnaissance was equipped with four cameras (capable of receiving focal lengths of 44, 76, 100, 200 and 600 mm) mounted in the nose of the camera that allowed forward, oblique and vertical shots. Each camera carried a film magazine with 360 shots, 1400 negatives to be processed after landing.
At night, initially, the Mirage III RS carried a battery of flashes designed to illuminate the terrain overflown at the time of shooting. Not very discreet, this system was abandoned in favour of the LIRAS container, an airborne infrared recognition system introduced in 1981.
The R-2117 made its last flight from Buochs to Payerne in December 2003 and was offered to the Foundation by the Air Force in 2005.